It’s beginning to look a lot like DRINKMAS. It’s that time again: the 12 Days of Drinkmas. We are kicking it off with this cocktail for our boozy sweet tooths! It’s as if a Mudslide, White Russian, and an Irish coffee had a sweet, sweet Christmas miracle. Sounds like the beginning of a bad joke, I know but it’s worth it to sugar-spike you into the holiday mood. You’ll get that tree decorated in no time.
What are the 12 Days of Drinkmas?
Every December, Tiana and I make 12 drinks or cocktails that we want to highlight leading up to Christmas. Because we bring the party and we make our own holidays around here. We started this tradition back when the blog was just a baby idea between friends. We’ll be posting a new recipe every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday until Christmas. We’d like to invite you to join us in making these or follow along here and on Instagram! This is like an advent calendar but with alcohol and us!
What is in a mudslide?
Mudslides are small dessert cocktails consisting of 1 part Baileys, 1 part Kahlua, 1 part half & half. Practically a boozy milkshake in a tiny glass.
We deviate a little using this Irish cream, this coffee liqueur, and heavy whipping cream…and we also add vodka. Feel free to omit because this drink packs a punch! Like not joking, add more ice or whipping cream to your taste. FYI: You can find the original Mudslide recipe on our cheat sheet that you get when you sign up for our newsletter at the bottom of this post! ?
What is whipped coffee, you drink making witch?
It’s originally known as Dalgona coffee, a creation from Korean cuisine that was popularized by a tv show. This took over my life last summer and brought me so much joy. I’d place it on top of a glass of iced oat milk for days when I need the extra morning boost! Now we are adding it to this drink for an extra booze-t. GET IT?!? Alright, alright. On to the recipe!
Whipped Coffee Mudslide Cocktail
A Holiday Twist on a Classic Coffee Cocktail that will keep you warm and fuzzy next to the fire!
- 1 oz of Irish Cream (we used Five Farms Single Batch Irish Cream Liqueur)
- 1 oz Coffee Liqueur (we used New Deal Coffee Liqueur)
- 1 oz Vodka, OPTIONAL (we used Heritage Distilling Co. State Vodka but that is not available outside of the Northwest, use any well vodka or fancy vodka of choice).
- 2 oz heavy whipping cream
WHIPPED COFFEE INGREDIENTS:
- 2 tbsp Instant Coffee (we use El Mexicano Brand Màs Café Instant Coffee)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 dash of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 1 dash of Vanilla Extract
- Optional Garnishes: Chocolate shavings, candy cane
For the Mudslide:
- In a mug or Irish coffee glass, combine the Irish Cream, Coffee Liqueur, vodka (optional for less of a kick), and heavy whipping cream. Taste and adjust the ratio to your liking.
- You can either add ice (high recommended) or add a bit more whipping cream and warm up the mixture in the microwave for a hot cocoa version.
- Stir the ingredients to combine and then top with your whipped coffee.
For the Whipped Coffee:
- Combine all dry ingredients in a high-speed stand mixer bowl. Add hot water and mix by hand for 60-90 seconds until clump free (some clumps okay).
- Mix on high speed in your stand mixer for approximately 5 minutes or until firm peaks begin to form.
- Add vanilla. Continue mixing until firm peaks form again. Adding vanilla will cause the mixture to deflate slightly so you will have to mix it again for a fluffy texture.
- Serve atop your cocktail and garnish with chocolate shavings and candy cane!
- Drink immediately.
Tips & Tricks! ☕️ Feel free to do a completely non-alcoholic version with just the whipped coffee! I pour milk over ice and top it with the whipped coffee when I want a sweet treat to put a pep in my step on workday mornings!
Follow along on Instagram as we make 12 different cocktails to celebrate the holiday season. Don’t forget to tag us if you give these a try!