Maybe the name of our blog should be Snack While We Work because when we’re not having a drink, we usually are having a snack. OR BETTER YET, Our name should be Whiskey While We Snack? Anywho, we got Watermelon Ceviche to keep you refreshed during these hot weather months.
INSPIRATION STRIKES! WHERE DID THIS IDEA COME FROM?
I kind of became obsessed with Palmaia, a Progressive Wellness Resort in Mexico that believes in non-violence so the food they serve is all vegan: Mexican-inspired cuisine and even vegan “sushi“! If you could magically zap me anywhere right now, it would be there. If they come out with a cookbook, I would pre-order the shit out of it. I love fresh produce and love pushing the flavor of fruits and veggies. I like eating plant-based a lot of the time but I am a balanced omnivore living with a bunch of carnivores. ??♀️
A little known fact about me is that some of my favorite blogs are vegan/vegetarian:
- Love and Lemons: So many recipes that make me rethink veggies all the time.
- Minimalist Baker: simple, easy, tasty recipes that don’t require many ingredients.
- Korean Vegan: my favorite Korean Auntie who has great stories and awesome, comforting recipes. Follow here on IG and you will know what I am talking about.
Check them out and let me know if there are other vegan blogs I should check out in the comments below!
I KNOW THIS RECIPE IS NOT TRUE CEVICHE BUT RATHER CEVICHE INSPIRED.
I wanted to make a vibrant recipe that let me feel like I was on vacation somewhere, you feel me! If you haven’t tried ceviche, I highly recommend it. It’s one of my fave dishes.
BUT KK, I LIKE MEAT.
- Add seafood: Okay if you don’t want to eat it vegetarian like me you can add fish. Generally, ceviche is typically made from fresh raw fish cured in fresh citrus juices, most commonly lemon or lime, but historically it was made with the juice of bitter orange. If you go this route, we suggest shrimp but red snapper is also a great choice or both. You could also give ahi tuna a try as well!
- Serve with Grilled Meats: I also think a good separately grilled meat like steak or chicken would be a nice compliment.
- We always encourage you to make this recipe your own!
WHAT SHOULD WE DRINK WITH THIS?
- How about our easy margs?
- A nice and easy lager or summer ale like Occidental Hefeweizen.
- A bubbly white or rose wine! I like McBride Sisters Sparkling Brut Rosé!
Vegan Watermelon Ceviche
Put your recipe here. Tip: use ordered and unordered lists, headings, images, and links to improve the look of your recipe. You can also use special tags to format notes, ingredients, and directions.
2 cups cubed watermelon
2 whole limes – squeezed of all juice
2 whole stalks scallion – sliced
1 jalapeño – minced
1 tablespoon of cilantro, roughly chopped plus whole leaves for garnish
2 Persian cucumber – cubed to match your watermelon.
1 lime, zested
2–3 tbsp avocado oil
freshly ground black pepper
1 bag of your Fave Tortilla chips
Place watermelon in a large bowl. Add in fresh lime juice, mix, and let sit for at least 15-20 minutes letting the lime juice absorb into the watermelon for sweet and sour goodness factor.
In a separate large bowl, mix scallions, jalapeños, cilantro, cucumber, lime zest, black pepper, a large pinch of kosher salt, and avocado oil.
Add watermelon to the cucumber mixture, straining from the remaining lime juice mixture. Combine well, taste to make sure there is enough salt.
Garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips.
Tips & Tricks:
Check out our Mango Guacamole post to see our fave dipping chips.
Y’all want more plant-based recipes? We’d love to know in the comments below.